All purpose GF/RF Flour Mix
3 'parts' Garfava Flour (this is the mixed garbanzo/fava bean flour)
3 'parts' Corn Starch *
2 'parts' Sorghum Flour
1 'part' Masa Harina *
(*Note: If you're allergic to corn, you can substitute arrowroot powder for the cornstarch and for the Masa Harina you can use Tapioca Flour).
GF/RF Irish Soda Bread with Raisins and Caraway Seeds
5 C All Purpose GF/RF Flour (above, you will have some left over!)
1 C Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsps Salt
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 C Unsalted Butter, cubed (1 stick) ****
2 1/2 C Raisins
2 Tbsps Caraway Seeds
2 1/2 C Buttermilk ***
1 Lg Egg **
** If allergic to egg, use 2 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed with 3 tbsp water, let sit and 'meld together' until gelatinous
*** If allergic to milk you can use any non-dairy milk and add 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon to 1 cup non-dairy milk to make a 'butter-milk' such as rice milk, almond milk, etc.
**** If allergic to milk can use any non-dairy butter alternative as long as it comes in a 'stick' to mix with the bread dough.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Generously butter a heavy ovenproof 10 to 12 inch "skillet" or stoneware pan with a 2 to 2 1/2 inch high side or use cooking spray.
3. Whisk or sift together first 6 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
4. Add butter, using fingertips, rub in until coarse crumbs form.
5. Stir in raisings and caraway seeds.
6. Mix buttermilk and egg together to blend in separate bowl.
7. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients using a wooden spoon; stir just until well incorporated (dough will be very sticky which is not like typical breads!).
8. Transfer dough to prepared skillet/stonewear; smooth top, mounding slightly in center. Spray top lightly with cooking spray (helps it 'brown' while cooking).
9. Using a small sharp knife dipped in GF/RF flour, cut 1-inch deep X in top center of dough.
10. Bake until bread is cooked through and tester inserted comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
11. Cool bread in skillet 10 minutes.
12. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
This is by far one of my favorite breads to make!! It is also fairly easy and is yeast free for those allergic to yeast as well!!