Aw, who doesn't love Au Gratin potatoes! But, it just isn't very ancestral or 'Paleo' friendly now is it? I was dying for something Au Gratin and just had to convert a recipe! So, being the chef that I am (and I jokingly say that!) this is what I came up with!! It turned out FABULOUS!! My husband and daughter asked for seconds!! If you have never had a parsnip, it can be used in place of potatoes and is a root vegetable similar to carrots. They are quite yummy!!
Ancestral Au Gratin Carrots & Parsnips
2 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter
2 Tbsp Coconut, Almond Flour or Arrowroot Powder
1 cup Organic Milk or Almond Milk (separated into 1/2 cups)
2 cups Organic Cheddar Cheese
1 tbsp L'Ecuyer's Seasoned Salt
1 tbsp Ground Pepper
4 Med Organic Carrots, peeled and sliced
4 Med Organic Parsnips, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and slice the carrots and parsnips (to slice evenly, I used a food processor using a thin blade which went very quickly!).
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the flour of your choice (listed above) and make a roux.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk and allow to thicken slightly.
- Slowly add the cheese and allow to melt completely.
- Add the remaining milk, seasoned salt, and pepper and continue to simmer as the cheese sauce thickens.
- Layer half of the carrots and parsnips in your oven safe dish. Pour half of the cheese sauce over this layer.
- Layer the other half of the carrots and parsnips in the dish and pour the rest of the cheese sauce evenly over the layer.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes covered. Remove lid. Increase the temperature on the oven to 425 degrees F. Bake an additional 15 minutes in the oven.
I still have some left and will be enjoying this for lunch tomorrow!! Enjoy!!